The Colwall War Memorial is in the centre of a memorial garden to one side of the
churchyard. It consists of a roofed Portland stone Calvary on an octagonal three-tier stepped base,
each step being 6" high, on top of a rendered concrete foundation 8' x 8' square. The length of the
steps being 24", 19" and 14.5" long respectively. The top step is surmounted by eight octagonal
stone panels, each approximately 9" x 9" in size, on which the names of those who lost their lives
in the Great War are engraved as follows:
In 1920 a meeting of Colwall Parochial Church council was held in The Parish Room.
It was decided that the Ale House garden was to become the Memorial Garden in memory of those who
died during the 1914-1918 War. Dr C Harris, (whose son, Noel Charles Harris, had died in Mesopotamia
in that War) composed the music for the hymn "O Valiant Hearts", written by his friend John
Arkwright of Hampton Castle. The cost of the Memorial in the first place was largely defrayed by the
profits from the sale of Dr Harris's music, also from public subscription. On Sunday 12 December
1920 the memorial was unveiled.